Am I a Candidate for Surgery?
Who Is a Candidate for Weight Loss Surgery?
To be accepted for weight loss surgery (such as gastric bypass surgery), you need to meet certain criteria. You must:
- Be between 18 and 65 years old.
- Be either severely obese (100 pounds or more overweight, with a BMI of 40 or more) OR obese with associated complications (a BMI of 35 or more, with a condition such as diabetes, high blood pressure or heart disease). Click here for BMI calculator.
- Have tried unsuccessfully to lose weight through a structured, medical weight loss program that included diet, exercise and lifestyle changes.
- Be experiencing personal or occupational problems due to obesity.
- Undergo a psychological evaluation and counseling to determine that you are emotionally healthy enough to understand the consequences of your decision.
- Be willing and able to commit to long-term medical follow-up, as well as the rigorous, lifelong changes in eating, exercise and lifestyle habits that will be necessary to meet and maintain your weight loss and health goals after surgery.
For more information call 281-587-3300.